07 June 2011

6 June 2011

Aloha Everyone!
     
     Every week just seems to have it's unique flavor. Especially this week sense a lot happened in the space of 7 days. I'll see if I have time to write all that I want.
     On Wed. Elder Davies and I went to Molokai. We ended up Leaving at 5:45a.m. for the day to spend with the missionaries there. It was quite the experience, more toward the boat ride. We heard a lot about how horrible it can be with the huge swells but luckily we went in the morning before the wind had a chance to pick up. Still though it was an exciting ride, especially for a "missionary" who can't even touch the sand nor ocean. 
    So we sat on top of the boat where their is a good view and open air to the endless ocean, and  being surrounded by 3 different Islands. At first everyone went on top, where it was full of people. But that all changed when we hit the channel that goes between the islands and it gets really rough. 
   Rough enough to the point where  when the boat hit the swells waves would come hurling over and on top of the boat. Just after that first wave the entire top cleared in a hurry down below were it's enclosed. Elder Davies and I along with only 2-3 people stayed on top. We couldn't help but laugh between each other as we took every wave as an opportunity to touch the ocean! Not to many missionaries get to take a boat over the Ocean, so we took all we could get. This is the highlight of missionary work ha. We didn't get to wet but after we dried we had salt all over us. Once again a day I won't forget.
   I was really grateful for the opportunity to be able to work with the young missionaries to be that inspiration they need as they are continuing to grow. That's what made the difference for me in my mission as I got to see a whole new level & experience through the example of other missionaries! namely Elder Killian, Bigg's and now to add to the list Elder Davies.
   The picture I sent is the bed I got to sleep on when on the exchange as I just put together a makeshift bed out of chairs. It didn't work out so well as every time I shifted around the chairs squeaked across the hard wood floor plus we had to wake up at 4:00 the next morning to catch the early boat ride home.
   




Next we find out unexpectedly that there was a need for a baptismal interview on the island of Hawaii. At first Pres Dalton was going to fly over this passed Friday but that all changed as we cheerfully suggested on how we can do it for him by taking the ferry over to Lanai, so he wouldn't have to take the time out of his busy day. Well it worked he gave us the permission and this passed Friday as well we got to go to Lanai. The last Elders that have touched that Island has been around 5 years. Right now there is a Senior couple who go over ever other week. So that was a once in a life opportunity as a ward missionary gave us a tour around the whole island after the baptism in the ocean. The Tour only took less then a half a day because of how small the island is. 
    Then to seal the deal on this passed Sunday as it was fast and testimony meeting at the very end of the meeting a gentleman walked up to bear his testimony. Elder Davies and I immidelty turned to one another as we both felt that he was a Non member bearing his testimony. He then goes on the share how God has really soften his heart and his desire to be more apart of the church has strengthen. 
   After the meeting ended to make a long story short we leave to go to the singles ward and we get a call from the 1st counselor in the bishopric on how this gentleman who bore his testimony wants to be baptized as soon as possible before the advisory takes over. So we rushed back, interview him, he had already been taught everything a year ago so he passed with flying colors and he wants to be baptized this coming Saturday. So this week was packed with experiences that will never be erased. I don't know if I can keep up these incredible weeks one right after another. I've never been so busy in my life and can't believe it's Monday again to write my weekly email. But I love it and I feel satisfied, what else can I ask for.
  I love you all thanks for your wonderful Letters and support.
   Love Elder Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment